- Candidates should be 16 years of age or older.
The Water Safety Ireland (WSI) National Assistant Swimming Teacher (Level 1) Award is the nationally and internationally recognised qualification required to work as an Assistant Swimming Teacher in Ireland or abroad.
This award is recognised by the International Federation of Swimming Teachers’ Associations (IFSTA).
- To ensure people are qualified to assist qualified Swimming Teachers on a professional or voluntary basis.
- To give candidates a basic technical and practical knowledge for the teaching of swimming to groups of 6 pupils under the direction of a fully qualified Swimming Teacher.
- To provide candidates with an understanding of Health and Safety issues in swimming pools.
Candidates must be a minimum age of 16 years prior to the course starting date.
Ideally, candidates will have a Water Safety Ireland Swimming Teachers’ Life Saving Award or Safety 4 or equivalent before starting the course.
While not essential at the start of, or during the course, all candidates should have achieved the stated life-saving standard before they begin to work more independently.
If it is not possible for a candidate to achieve or obtain the stated life saving criteria the qualification must only be used when a Pool Lifeguard is present and under the direction of fully qualified Swimming Teacher.
The course will consist of a minimum of 24 hours theory and 8 hours poolside practice.
Candidates must have an attendance in excess of 95% of the scheduled hours to complete the course. An attendance register will be kept by the course provider to support this requirement.
Course Content / Syllabus:
The Assistant Swimming Teacher Award comprises 10 units, as follows:
- General Information
- Health and Safety
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Learning and Skill Development
- Integration of those with Additional Needs
- Scientific Principles of Movement in Water
- Six Strokes: Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Butterfly, Inverted Breast Stroke and Life Saving Side Stroke
- Other Aquatic Skills relevant to the Teaching of Swimming
- Stroke and Aquatic Skills Analysis
- Practical Teaching
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 5 weeks
- Skill level Intermediate
- Language English
- Students 24
- Assessments Yes